Dave and I love our fur babies! They are our family and their happiness and safety are paramount. I am sure all fur parents feel the same. We understand that the concept of Pet Sharing is relatively new and it can seem daunting. It is important to remember that your pets safety and happiness is the most important aspect and as an owner you are in total control at all times who you would choose to share your pet with. As such the safety of all our animal members is at the heart of Share My Pet.
How can we make sure our pets stay safe when pet sharing?
Pet sharing requires time and thought. It is not a quick fix solution to your pet care needs. Rather it is a relationship of trust built up over time. It requires work from both the Sharer and Carer to; form clear communication channels, get to know each other and the animal(s) involved, understand care requirements, commands and each other’s expectations about pet sharing.
The Process of safe Pet Sharing
- Initially contact should be made via the websites messenger system. Your home address is always kept private. This means that you start your communication with other members without giving personal details away.
- After you have contacted another member and feel they may be a good match you will need to meet in the real world. We highly recommend that you first meet in a public place.
- Spend time together as Sharer, Carer and pet. This may take multiply meetings. Take time to make sure it feels right. Get to know each other.
- Once you both decide that you’re a good match, you can exchange phone numbers and personal contact details.
- Try to be clear with each other about what you would like to get out of the exchange.
We at Share My Pet wish to promote good and safe pet care
To make pet sharing as safe as possible for your pet we highly encourage our members to take the following steps.
Insure your pet.
Vet bills can be extremely expensive, and you don’t want to be making a choice between expensive vet fees and your pets life. As such we have our dogs insured with Petplan and it has come in handy on more than one occasion. If you are not currently insured you can get a free, no obligation pet insurance quote by filling out this one page form and emailing it to email@example.com.
Share My Pet recommend all dogs and cats and other pets where appropriate be microchipped. Also it is NZ law to microchip all dogs first registered from 1 July 2006, (except stock working farm dogs, which are exempt).
To make returning a lost pet easier we highly recommend registering your pet with the Animal Companion Register. They are a non-profit organisation whose mission is to return lost pets to their owners. They charge a one off registration fee for your pet to be put on their database. Also they now have some neat pet facial recognition software to make finding your pet even easier. For more information please follow this links;
The New Zealand Companion Animal Register
Pet first aid course
Why not attend a pet first aid course? This is a great thing to do as a pet owner or as a pet Carer. I did this fantastic course with Josie from Pet First Aid and Training. It was informative, well ran and could save a animals life.
Wishing you happy and safe sharing
Here at Share My Pet we are always looking for great ways to improve our service and the lives of pets. If you have any suggestions or would like to get involved with Share My Pet please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.