- Share My Pet encourages people to make initial contact through the website by looking at each other’s profiles and pictures. Be specific and honest about yourself and / or your pet. Once you have found a pet or a person you think would be a great match we recommend you get together in a public space, for example a local park or café. Take your time getting to know each other. Go for walk together or spend time with your pet as a group. Trust your intuitions and trust your pet’s intuition too. At Share My Pet we believe there are many wonderful and trust worthy people in our communities and we hope that sharing and caring is a concept that belongs to us in our local community and the world.
- Swap contact details before meeting and leave details of your meeting, occasion and time with a friend, parent or family member.
- Ask about the other persons experience with animals and specifically your type of animal. If they have no experience caring for your type of animal i.e. dog / horse / goat etc. you may wish to take time to teach them the skills specific to the needs of your pet or find another person with the relevant experience.
- Always run through clear caring instructions for your animal with the carer. This might be the voice commands you use or the type of feed and quantity your pet requires.
- Alert the carer to any specific behavioral characteristics of the animal such as what might scare them or quirky habits they may have. You know your pet best so the more information you can pass on the better.
- If your pet requires medication, inform the carer and write down the specific instructions clearly and precisely.
- Discuss what you would like the carer to do in an emergency i.e. which vets to call etc.
- Under 18 are not allowed to use the Share My Pet website. If you have an under 18 who wishes to be involved with Share My Pet an over 18 must take full responsibility for all aspects of the online operations and must accompany the under 18 at all times.