Share My Pet encourages people to make initial contact through the website by looking at each other’s profiles and pictures. Be specific and honest about yourself and / or your pet.
Once you have found a pet or a person you think would be a great match we recommend you get together in a public space, such as a local park or cafe. Take your time getting to know each other. Go for a walk together or spend time with your pet as a group. Trust your intuition – and trust your pet’s intuition too.
At Share My Pet we believe there are many wonderful and trustworthy people in our communities. We hope that Share My Pet will help bring more sharing and caring to our local communities and the world.
Here are Share My Pet’s safety guidelines that we strongly encourage you to follow.
- You must be over 18 to use the Share My Pet website. If you are under the age of 18 and you wish to be involved with Share My Pet, an adult (over the age of 18) must take full responsibility for all aspects of the online operations and must accompany the under-18 at all times.
- Before meeting, swap contact details, and leave details of your meeting, occasion and time with a friend or family member.
- Ask about the other person’s experience with animals and specifically your type of animal. If they have no experience caring for your type of animal (dog / horse / goat, etc.) you may wish to teach them the skills specific to the needs of your pet, or find another person with the relevant experience.
- If your pet requires medication, inform the carer and write down the specific instructions clearly and precisely.
- Discuss what you would like the carer to do in an emergency, such as which vet clinic to call.
- Always run through clear instructions for your animal with the carer. This might be the voice commands you use or the type and quantity of feed your pet requires.
- Alert the carer to any specific behavioral characteristics of the animal such as what might scare them or quirky habits they may have. You know your pet best, so the more information you can pass on the better.